Monday, August 23, 2010

What can I use to treat an irritation in my English Bulldog's facial folds?

I have a 10mos. old English Bulldog and he has developed a moist skin irritation and/or minor yeast infection in the facial fold under one of his eyes. This problem is quite common among the breed. I wanted to find out if anyone knows what type of ointment or solution can temporarily be used to treat it until I take him to the vet next weekend? Thanks for your opinions.What can I use to treat an irritation in my English Bulldog's facial folds?
Peace on Earth has already given you the correct answer:





as a groomer this is the response I have been trained to give many owners with this same question,


';English Bulldogs are prone to developing yeast infections within the folds of their face, for this reason owners should prevent the bacteria build-up by wiping out the folds via the use of a warm, damp cloth daily. When signs of an irritation or possible infection occur, continue to clean the folds out in the same manner so long as it does not cause the dog any obvious discomfort, and of course speak to your vet about these types of concerns as soon as they arrive to avoid any major skin irritation.';





You are a step above most of the owners I've already spoken to about this as you already are aware that this is a common problem and you know to take your dog to the vet for it. Many owners I've known will wait until the skin within the folds of their dog's face will be completely raw and infected, then the owner brings the dog to the groomer to be cleaned expecting that the smell from between the folds will magically vanish after a bath, of course by this point the groomer can only refer the owner to a vet because the skin irritation has become a major medical problem.





Good on you for researching your dog's specific care requirements and loving him enough to seek proper medical care, you are a step above many others on this forum!What can I use to treat an irritation in my English Bulldog's facial folds?
Wipe the folds with a cloth dipped in witch hazel,dry well ( with a hair dryer set on low,if the dog will allow it),then apply an athlete's foot powder or a yeast infection cream with Miconanzole Nitrate 2%. Do it two or three times a day.This should clear it up if it is caused by yeast.Oh,and before anyone gives me thumbs down,my vet told me about this,and it works!
I have a bulldog that is 9 months old. I have had a similar problem on his side (where no wrinkles appear). I used an old Polish home remedy of beer and onion juice. A 12 oz can or bottle of beer (lager works best and is cheaper) and the juice of one large onion (white works best). Warm it up over medium heat until it just starts to boil. Let it cool a bit until it is still warm to the touch. Dip a wash cloth in it - to where it is soaked but not dripping all over the place and apply to the infected area. Do this 3 times a day and it should clear up in a few days. It has something to do with the chemistry between the beer and the onion. Don't drink the left overs because it tastes weird. The low amount of alcohol in the beer won't mess up the dog.
If he allows you, just wipe out the folds gently with a damp cloth. If not, try to give him a bath and wait it out until you can see the vet.





I take my bulldog to the groomers where they do a decent job with her folds.
i always have some Canesten cream at home(in the fridge) its a cream that's sold without prescription for women's yeast infection.Try some on your dogs face.If its itchy, he will be rubbing his face or scratch it with his paws.may get it infected.another cream that is good for fungi:nizoral


check the pharmacy,I'm not sure if that is without prescription?

No comments:

Post a Comment